Welcome to Chernihiv! - Чернігів туристичний
     
 

Registration






Lost Password?
No account yet? Register

Відправка SMS

sms.gif

Пошук по Чернігову

poisk.jpg

Мапа області

glob.jpg

Мапа Чернігова

mapa.jpg
Home arrow Tourist attraction arrow Welcome to Chernihiv!

Welcome to Chernihiv!

 

00298020.jpg
If you come to Chernihiv to relax you are wise. But even if you come here with another purpose, you are lucky because you will have a chance to see one of the most ancient and beautiful cities of Ukraine.
A small Slav settlement from which Chernihiv originated appeared in the last quarter of the seventh century A.D. here where the waters of the rivers Desna and Strizhen meet at the foot of a mountain covered with old oaks.
In the course of a few centuries it was transformed into a rich and strongly fortified city, which in its might was a rival of the mother of all Rus cities. It was not without  justification that Chernihiv was listed immediately after Kiev in the pact Prince Oleg made with the Byzantine empire in 907.

The great number of pagan era burial mounds on the territory of the city is a reminder of those legendary times. A number of those mounds are widely known in the scientific world - the Chorna Mogila, Gulbishche, and Besimyaniy.
In 992 the capital of Chernihiv-Siversky land became the seat of a vast bishopric. Until 1118 it included the territory of modern Chernihiv, Kursk, Tula, Vladimir, Moscow, and parts of the Mogilev and Smolensk regions. This was a period of intensive construction of churches in the city, which grew to 450 hectares and was inhabi¬ted by twenty thousand people at the end of the XII-th century.
Unfortunately most of the churches and cathedrals which were built at that period were destroyed before our time, but in mo¬dern Chernihiv one can see five temples of the XI-th -Xlll-th centuries. This means that Chernihiv possesses a sixth of the surviving Old Rus architectural monuments.
As the main city of a principality whose borders reached northeastward toward Murom and included Tmutaracan in the south (modern Taman), Chernihiv was a mighty fortress. Its wooden walls were an insuperable obstacle for hordes of warlike steppe neighbors and for the avaricious relatives of the Chernihiv princes.
Time has wiped the impregnable Chernihiv fortress from the earth, but the names of those who built its towers and walls are preserved in our memory. Princes Mstislav Vladimirovich (1024 - 1036), Svyatosdlav Yaroslavich (1054 - 1073), Vladimir Monomah (1076 - 1077, 1078 -1094) and David Svyatoslavich entered the history of Chernihiv forever.
Everybody knows the hero of the epic «The word about Igor's regiment» Chernihiv Prince Igor Svyatoslavich (1198 - 1201) and also Saint-prince Michael Vsevolodovich, who was executed by the Mongol horde (1224 -1234). In 1239 Chernihiv was assaulted by Tatar-Mongolian Baty-khan's warriors for seven da¬ys. The city was destroyed and plundered. After that tragedy it was deserted for a long time.
The dimensions and population of Chernihiv had considerably decreased by the beginning of the XIV-th century.
The bishop's seat was transferred to safer Bryansk. The city constantly passed from hand to hand: in 1320 it was captured by Poles; in 1340 it was the possession of Kiev princes; at the begin¬ning of the XIV-th century unprotected Chernihiv passed under the rule of Lithuania, and from 1503 it became a part of the Moscow state for a whole century.
The sovereign Vasily Ivanovich, who was anxious about fortifying the borders of his domain, built a new Chernihiv fortress, which withstood more than one siege.
In 1618 an agreement between Warsaw and Moscow made Chernihiv a Polish city. In 1623 King Sigizmund III granted the city the Magdeburg Right, which favored the development of Chernihiv. At the same time the Roman Catholic Church strengthened its position among the local popula¬tion. Borisoglebsky and Uspensky cathedrals were converted into Polish Roman Catholic churches.
At the beginning of 1648 Cossacks headed by Sotnic Rodak besieged the city and captured it. In 1649 Chernigov was included in the number of towns subordinated under Bogdan Chmelnitsky. The Chernihiv Regiment was organized. On the 28 of January 1654 the citizens of Chernihiv took the oath of loyalty to Moscow tsar.
Chernihiv again became the seat of a bishopric, and old temples and monasteries were restored.
New churches and cathedrals were built. The best-known among the church leaders of Chernihiv, Lazar Baranovich (1657 -1693), was even going to transfer the metropolitan’s seat here from Kiev.
Beginning in 1659 a tsar voivode lived in Chernihiv.  Among them were the famous Cossack colonels Martin Nebaba, Stepan Vodobyilo, and Jakov Lizogub.   
In 1782 the ancient capital of Chernihiv-Siversky land became the centre of the Chernihiv vicegerency. From 1797 it was the main city of Malorossiyskaya province. At that time the population of Chernihiv was about four thousand people. There were 35 windmills and 9 watermills, 8 brickworks, 14 distilleries and a few other small enterprises. A considerable part of the population was engaged in agriculture.
Chernihiv province was organized in 1802. The first half of the
XIX-th century was a period of intensive development of Chernihiv. In 1861 its population had increased to 14,500 people. There were 24 industrial enterprises.
The number of educational institutions, hotels, and shops was growing, a telegraph office appeared, and newspapers were being published. Local authorities paid more attention to the development of the social sphere and municipal services. In 1883 first line of a public water supply was built. In 1894 the first electric power station started to work.
In 1910 the population of Chernihiv was about 33 thousand people. The years 1917-1919 was a period of revolutionary shocks and civil war for Chernihiv, as it was for most cit¬es of the Russian empire.
Until 1925 Chernihiv was the centre of the province of the same name, then of Chernihiv district.
Chernihiv region was organized in 1932. Industry started to develop, and the population was increasing. In 1938 the population of Chernihiv was already about 70 thousand.
During the Great Patriotic War, the city endured two years of fascist occupation, from September 9, 1941 to September 21, 1943.
During that period Hitlerites killed 52435 civilians and prisoners of war in the city and its environs, burnt down 1740 dwelling houses, most of the industrial enterprises, ma¬ny monuments of architecture, museums and libraries, and destroyed 14 schools. The population of Chernihiv was reduced by two-thirds.
Today Chernihiv is an industrial and cultural centre of Ukraine, occupying about 7800 hectares where about 300 thousand people live.

 

 


Були ще й інші там аборигени,
Це може буть віднесено до збігів,
Але меланхолійні меланхлени
Вдягали чорне - там тепер Чернігів.

 

 

< Prev   Next >